IRS Tax Forms – Make Sure You Use the Correct Ones

The new tax season is upon us, and it often feels as if putting together all of your financial information for the past year and filing your taxes will cause mild to severe headaches. It should be noted that the tax filing season happens but once a year, and if you have been diligently paying your taxes and all of your paperwork is in good order, there is no real cause for concern. However, even the most careful taxpayers will run into delays and other situations that can make tax time especially stressful and laborious. Fortunately, when you need extra time to get your taxes filed (alas, there is no extension to actually pay the taxes due), all you need to do is request an automatic tax extension and our team at FileLater will be more than happy to help you with the process. When going about your federal tax filing extension application, you just need to make sure you use the correct IRS tax form.

The Sea of Red Tape

IRS Tax Forms - Make Sure You Use the Correct Ones

As you can imagine, the Internal Revenue Service deals with quite a large number of people, organizations, documents, files, processes, and forms every day of the year. There are personal (i.e. individual) taxes, business taxes, tax disputes and reviews, international taxation laws, and so on and so forth. All this is further compounded by the various regulations that govern federal, state, and local jurisdictions. To make at least some sense of the mess, the IRS has a strict system of form names and numbers. The form names and numbers indicate the exact form to be used in every situation, so it’s important that you submit the correct form. Are you looking for the right forms to use in order to apply for an IRS tax extension? If you’re an individual, you should use Tax Form 4868 to request a personal tax extension. If you’re filing for a business, you should use Tax Form 7004 to request a business tax extension.

What Happens if I Use the Wrong Tax Form?

If you file the wrong tax form, that will delay the IRS’ processing of your information and you will most likely need to try again by submitting the correct form. Luckily, if you’re applying for a tax extension, FileLater makes it easy for you to file the right form. If you’re requesting a personal extension, the FileLater system will automatically help you fill out Form 4868 and transmit it electronically to the IRS on your behalf. If you’re requesting a business extension, the FileLater system will automatically help you fill out Form 7004 and electronically file it to the IRS on your behalf.

Tax extensions that are requested online through e-file are processed very quickly – often within a few hours of being submitted. All FileLater users receive a confirmation email as soon as the IRS responds to their request. (On the other hand, if you file an extension by paper and mail it to the IRS, you will only hear back if your extension is rejected.) With FileLater, you can also resubmit your tax extension for free if it is initially rejected for any reason.

The IRS processes millions of tax forms every year. The best way to get a fast response from the IRS is to e-file. Electronic filing is quick and convenient. In fact, you can e-file a tax extension with FileLater in less than 10 minutes. Just make sure you use an Authorized IRS e-file Provider so that your sensitive data remains safe.

This entry was posted in Business Extension, State Extensions. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.